söndag 27 december 2009

Temple-seeing Bagan

Yesterdays morning excursion with the bike across Yangon had me almost missing the plane to Bagan. On the map it looked straight forward, but reality was a mix of roads, early morning markets and a near lack of street lightning. It was only with a quick rush in a taxi
that I made the last minute of check-in time.

With arriving in Bagan things are on a different speed: SLOW. The area is cramped with temples that are between 900 and 700 years old... lots of them. I had a wonderful day sight-seeing across the sandy roads by bike. I met some other cyclists both from Holland and Germany. The 2 germans had just done the exact same route in China that I did this summer and were now heading for India.

The best moments of the day were spent in an old monastery and meditation cave: cool and murky, but nice to chat to the monks who actually live in some of the old ruins, share some fruit and spend some time meditating there.

Today I am spending another day in and between the temples... and tomorrow I will continue north towards Mandalay.

Inga kommentarer: